Friday, June 10, 2011

Morning of IUI

Our IUI was scheduled for the morning of March 11th, 2011.

I woke up at 5:00 am, grabbed our dog Maggie and went for what I knew would be my last run for a while. Although hard, I knew that running was the reason we were having to resort to fertility treatments in the first place, and if I was serious about this (which I was) a few weeks of not running was worth it in the long run. By 7:30 we were anxiously sitting in the Dr. Office waiting to get called in for the procedure.

While my body seemed to just be waking up, Drew's fertility potential was ridiculous. Meaning he has super sperm, seriously ridiculous amounts of very good swimmers. We laughed about the results of his analysis (which were off the chart) because while I followed all the rules you're supposed to (i.e. eat healthy, don't smoke, exercise) Drew did nothing of the sort. He ate cookies for breakfast and took baths for god sakes - the very thing they tell you NOT to do.

They finally called us in after what felt like 4 hours (probably 15 minutes) and we were ready to do this. Drew as always found ways to lighten the mood by making jokes about how romantic this was "Just us three" and I'm not sure what I would have done without him there.


The whole thing took about 30 seconds and was for the most part painless. I was instructed to lay down for the next 10 minutes, and then get up and go about my day. To be honest it just seemed too easy. After months of waiting, THAT was it!?

I'm not sure what I was expecting, balloons or fireworks maybe, something a bit more grand to signify how huge the thing we just did was. But instead I got up and went to work like it was any other day, meanwhile praying this has worked, and we had just made a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment