Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What to Expect: by Drew

There are about 5-7 baby books floating around our house, but until now I thought I was the only one reading them. And while I've been busy with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" Drew has moved right ahead to "What to Expect The First Year" and for the past week I've been getting nightly recaps of what he's learned.

So far he's told me about feeding techniques, eating patterns of infants, the best time for one on one bonding verses playtime and the correct way to wake a sleeping baby. Let me tell you, I can't get enough of our nightly tutorials.

To be honest I've been feeling the need to put my book down and pick up one of the many that deal with what the hell to do when the baby gets here. But something inside of me keep saying "relax, you've got plenty of time" - which after careful calculation turns out to be 15 weeks and not as much time as I had originally thought.

While it seems unreal to me that in 3 months we could be on our way to the hospital and coming home with our own living baby doll, Drew is as cool as a cucumber (at least on the outside). Each time I ask him if he's freaked out that this is actually happening and we are going to be parents, he looks at me like the thought has never passed his mind.

I feel like I've seen a whole new side of Drew while watching him deal with this pregnancy. At first he was cautiously excited - which I understood. But as things progress I can see how excited he is getting. From clearing out the office and shopping for strollers, to educating himself on what's to come next I can already tell what a wonderful Dad he is going to be (as if it wasn't already apparent from his relationship with Maggie).

So for now I'm going to let our Dad-to-be to continue with his reading and update me on what we can expect. But I think it won't be too long before I start picking up these books myself to make sure he's not getting too far ahead of me : )

No comments:

Post a Comment