At 12 weeks and 3 days it became even more real when we revealed to those outside our immediate circle that we were expecting a baby in December. Of course I posted a picture of our latest ultrasound to Facebook, the place where you make all your grand announcements these days. I also shared the news with the rest of my co-workers who I hadn't told a few weeks before.
Once again I was overwhelmed by how excited our friends were hear the good news. I confess that I still go back and look at that first post I made, touched by the number of comments people left.
I left work that night on cloud 9. Finally after weeks of keeping this inside I could explain why I was eating more bread than I had in years, couldn't keep my eyes open past 3:00 pm and starting to pack on some pounds (in two very particular areas, if ya know what I mean).
Just as I thought we were turning a corner and we were in the clear, I went to the bathroom around 9:00 pm and was horrified to see I was bleeding. Not spotting, but really bleeding.
Panic set in and Drew and immediately got in the car and drove 15 minutes to the ER. We spent the next 4 hours there, as I had more blood work taken, another ultrasound and other fun exams. In the end, they had no idea what had caused the bleeding and the baby looked fine, moving around in my belly like no big deal Ma, relax.
It felt like the wind had been taken out of my sail. Here I was waiting anxiously to get to the 12 week point when your chance of miscarriage drops significantly to tell everyone. Then not even 24 hours after sharing the news we have a scare like this.
I stayed in bed the next day, basically afraid to move and then had another appoitnemtn with our regular OBGYN. Again, everything looked fine and they had no idea what had caused the bleeding. I was told to take it easy for 2 weeks, but that there was nothing to be worried about. I relaxed as best I could, but was a nervous wreck. Everything scared me, moving, walking, bending over - even going to the bathroom freaked me out.
But just like the Doctors said, it seemed as though everything really was fine and once again I started to have hope that this little baby inside of me was not a temporary visitor, but was a permanent one who was going to stick around for the long haul.
No comments:
Post a Comment